- Agrostis gigantea is a perennial grass that makes a coarse turf and grows to 2-3 ft. (0.6-0.9 m) tall.
- Leaves are bluish green or greyish blue, narrow, sharp and about 0.4 in. (0.95 cm) wide and 8 in. (20.3 cm) long. The stems are slender, growing to 30-40 in. (76.2-101.6 cm) tall.
- The inflorescence is pyramidal and reddish in color--hence the common name of redtop. Flowers are yellow in color and bloom mid-spring.
- Fruit and seeds begin ripening in early summer. Seeds are very small and brown in color. Agrostis gigantea grows rapidly after seeding.
- Ecological Threat
- Agrostis gigantea occurs in areas with shallow water, in wet meadows, in grasslands, and along stream banks. It is native to Eurasia.