- Poa annua is an erect or clump-forming annual grass that tolerates close mowing, or may reach 11 in. (27.9 cm) in height. It can also be identified by having light green grass with a boat-shaped leaf tip that resembles other lawn and turf grass species. This weed is very similar to Kentucky Bluegrass (Poa pratensis), but is much lighter in color and lacks rhizomes.
- Leaves are light green in color, especially when compared to the dark green color of other closely related turfgrass species (for example Kentucky Bluegrass, Poa pratensis). Leaf blades are 0.5-5 in. (1.3–12.7 cm) long, 0.04-0.2 in. (1-5 mm) wide, folded in the bud and lack hairs on either surface.
- The seed head is an open panicle, 0.75-2.5 in. (1.9-6.4 cm) long, and pyramidal in outline.
- Fruit is an achene.
- Ecological Threat
- Poa annua is primarily a weed of lawns and turfgrass, found throughout the United States.
Image Sets View other image sets:
EDDMapS Distribution - This map is incomplete and is based only on current site and county level reports made by experts, herbaria, and literature. For more information, visit www.eddmaps.org
State Invasive List - This map identifies those states that list this species on their invasive species list. For more information, visit Invasive.org
Most Troublesome / Most Common Agricultural Weed List
This map identifies those states that consider this species either most troublesome or most common in at least one commodity. For more information, visit the MTMC project page.
|No Data for this state|
|Troublesome or Common weed in one or more crops|
Invasive Listing Sources
- Alaska Noxious Weeds
- California Invasive Plant Council
- City of Ann Arbor Michigan Parks and Recreation
- East Central Florida CISMA
- Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council - Category 3
- Great Lakes Early Detection Network
- Jil M. Swearingen, Survey of invasive plants occurring on National Park Service lands, 2000-2007
- Kentucky Exotic Pest Plant Council - Lesser Threat
- Nonnative Invasive Species in Southern Forest and Grassland Ecosystems
- WeedUS - Database of Plants Invading Natural Areas in the United States
Other System LinksPlants: POAN
NPDN Pest: PCACKBA
NPDN Host: 33013
CategoriesCategory: Grass or Grasslike
|Common Name Reference:|| USDA, NRCS. 2010. The PLANTS Database. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.|
|Scientific Name Reference:||USDA, NRCS. 2010. The PLANTS Database. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.|