- Ipomoea aquatica is an annual herb. It can be a procumbent terrestrial in wetland areas or a floating aquatic. The thick hollow stems root at the nodes. Stems are slightly swollen above the nodes. It is native to temperate and tropical Asia, Africa, and Australia. It is used as a pot herb in some regions.
- The petiolate leaves are hastate (halberd shaped) with the central lobe lanceolate. The basal lobes are much smaller and sometimes almost absent. Leaves are from 1.5-5 in. (4-12 cm) inches long.
- The white to purple funnel shaped flowers are usually solitary. Sometimes a few flowers are held in a cyme. It can flower year round in tropical climates.
- Ipomoea aquatica fruits are woody ovoid capsules.
- Ecological Threat
- Ipomoea aquatica can become an invasive problem in some tropical and temperate regions outside of its native range. Its common name, water spinach indicates that use as a food is one reason it has been spread to other parts of the world. It is listed as a noxious weed in the United States. Ipomoea aquatica has been reported in Florida, California, Hawaii and Washington. It has also been reported in Micronesia, French Polynesia and South America.
- Federal Noxious Weed Disseminules of the U.S. - USDA-APHIS
- Identification and Biology of Non-Native Plants in Florida's Natural Areas - University of Florida
Image Sets View other image sets:
EDDMapS Distribution - This map is incomplete and is based only on current site and county level reports made by experts, herbaria, and literature. For more information, visit www.eddmaps.org
State Invasive List - This map identifies those states that list this species on their invasive species list. For more information, visit Invasive.org
Invasive Listing Sources
- California Noxious Weeds
- Faith Campbell, 1998
- Federal Noxious Weeds
- Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council - Category I
- Massachusetts Noxious Weeds
- New Hampshire Prohibited Aquatic Species
- North Carolina Noxious Weeds - Class A
- South Carolina Noxious Weeds
- Texas Noxious Weeds
- Treasure Coast Cooperative Invasive Species Mgmt. Area - EARLY DRAFT
- USDA APHIS Regulated Pest List
- Vermont Noxious Weeds
- Virginia Invasive Plant Species List
- WeedUS - Database of Plants Invading Natural Areas in the United States
|Common Name Reference:|| Weed Science Society of America Common Names List|
|Scientific Name Reference:||USDA, NRCS. 2010. The PLANTS Database. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.|