- Rhaponticum repens is a perennial forb that can grow to 3 ft. (1 m) in height. Stems originate from a basal rosette of leaves. The rosette leaves can be unlobed to very lobed and are 2-4 in. (5-10 cm) long.
- Stem leaves are oblong, pinnately lobed to entire and up to 6 in. (15.2 cm) in length at the base of the stem and become smaller and less lobed toward the top.
- In summer to fall Rhaponticum repens produces flowers that are pink to purple and turn straw colored as they mature. The flower heads are approximately 0.5 in (1.2 cm) in diameter and urn shaped.
- Fruits (achenes) are ivory-colored with a tuft of hair that falls off at maturity.
- Ecological Threat
- Rhaponticum repens is native to Eurasia and was introduced into the United States in the early 1900’s. This species can cause chewing disease in horses.
Image Sets View other image sets:
EDDMapS Distribution - This map is incomplete and is based only on current site and county level reports made by experts, herbaria, and literature. For more information, visit www.eddmaps.org
State Invasive List - This map identifies those states that list this species on their invasive species list. For more information, visit Invasive.org
Invasive Listing Sources
- Alaska Noxious Weeds
- Arizona Noxious Weeds
- California Invasive Plant Council
- California Noxious Weeds
- Colorado Noxious Weeds
- Faith Campbell, 1998
- Great Lakes Early Detection Network
- Hoffman, R. & K. Kearns, Eds. 1997. Wisconsin manual of control recommendations for ecologically invasive plants. Wisconsin Dept. Natural Resources, Bureau of Endangered Resources. Madison, Wisconsin. 102pp.
- Iowa Noxious Weeds
- Jil M. Swearingen, Survey of invasive plants occurring on National Park Service lands, 2000-2007
- John Randall, The Nature Conservancy, Survey of TNC Preserves, 1995.
- Kansas Noxious Weeds
- Michigan Noxious Weeds
- Minnesota Noxious Weeds
- Montana Noxious Weeds
- Nevada Noxious Weeds
- New Mexico Noxious Weeds
- Nonnative Invasive Species in Southern Forest and Grassland Ecosystems
- Oregon Noxious Weeds
- Pacific Northwest Exotic Pest Plant Council, 1998
- South Carolina Noxious Weeds
- South Dakota Noxious Weeds
- Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council
- Utah Noxious Weeds
- Washington Noxious Weeds
- WeedUS - Database of Plants Invading Natural Areas in the United States
- Wyoming Noxious Weeds