- The Hypophthalmichthys nobilis or Bighead carp are native to Asia. Bighead carp are a large deep bodied fish with big heads. It has a laterally compressed (relatively flat side to side) body form. The head is longer than the body is high. The mouth slants upwards and the lower jaw extends slightly over upper jaw. Their scales are very small with from 85-100 scales along the length of the fish with 26-28 rows of scales above the lateral line. Larger fish have a heavy, stiff, non-serrate spine at the origin of the dorsal fin and a slightly stiffened spine at the anal fin origin. The dorsal fin has eight and sometimes 9 soft rays. The anal fin has thirteen and occasionally fourteen soft rays. The gill rakers are long, comb like and close-set.
- Life Cycle
- H. nobilis are a synchronous (all spawn at the same time) and gonochoristic (have separate male and female) species that spawns annually for dozens of years during its life span. H. nobilis is a semi-migratory fish. Reproductive adults migrate from lakes and the lower reaches of rivers to the spawning ground in the upper reaches of the major rivers in its native range. Flowing water and changes in water level are essential for natural spawning. Semi-buoyant eggs are laid that suspend in the water column when there is a current.
- H. nobilis have been introduced around the world. They have been found in Africa, Australasia-Pacific, North America, and South America. They may be introduced as a fish for the food industry.
- Control Efforts
- Cooperation is recommended between the states where H. nobilis may spread to ensure consistency in regulation and enforcement.
Michigan Sea Grant Archive
Courtesy of US Fish & Wildlife Service
Invasive Listing Sources
- EDDMapS Ontario
- Everglades Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area
- Florida Invasive Species Partnership
- Great Lakes Early Detection Network
- Idaho Invasive Species Act
- Nonnative Invasive Species in Southern Forest and Grassland Ecosystems
- Wisconsin's Invasive Species Identification, Classification and Control Rule
Other System LinksITIS: 163692
|Common Name Reference:|| Integrated Taxonomic Information System on-line database.|
|Scientific Name Reference:||Integrated Taxonomic Information System on-line database.|